Word Of the Week (WOW) is a weekly meme created by Heena Rathore P. (me.)
It’s a fun way to improve one’s vocabulary by learning new words every week.
If you want to participate then simply do a post with your WORD and leave the link to your post as a comment on one of my WOW post.
Here’s this week’s WOW:
Part Of Speech:
- Special words or expressions used by a profession or group that are difficult for others to understand.
- (Archaic) A form of language regarded as barbarous, debased, or hybrid.
- A translucent, colourless, or smoky gem variety of zircon.
specialized language, technical language, slang, cant, idiom, argot, patter, patois, vernacular; computerese, legalese, bureaucratese, journalese, psychobabble.
Related Phrases/Informal Synonyms:
Double Dutch, mumbo jumbo, geekspeak, gobbledegook.
- Late Middle English (originally in the sense ‘twittering, chattering’, later ‘gibberish’): from Old French jargoun, of unknown origin. The main sense dates from the mid 17th century.
- Mid 18th century: from French, from Italian giargone ; probably ultimately related to zircon.
Use In Sentences:
- The instructions are written in electrician’s jargon.
- This legal jargon is going to be the death of me.
I hope you guys like this word and hope it’s useful to you in some or the other way! If you want to check out more words like this, then visit my page: