Word Of The Week (WOW #40)
Word Of the Week (WOW) is a weekly meme created by Heena Rathore P. (me.)
It’s a fun way to improve one’s vocabulary by learning new words every week.
If you want to participate then simply do a post with your WORD and leave the link to your post as a comment on one of my WOW post.
Here’s this week’s WOW:
Part Of Speech:
Verb [with obj.]
- Plural noun: lathes
- Verb: lathe
- 3rd person present: lathes
- Past tense: lathed
- Past participle: lathed
- Gerund or present participle: lathing
Meaning 1 for noun:
- A machine for shaping wood, metal, or other material by means of a rotating drive which turns the piece being worked on against changeable cutting tools.
Meaning 2 for verb:
- Shape with a lathe.
Middle English: probably from Old Danish lad ‘structure, frame’, perhaps from Old Norse hlath ‘pile, heap’, related to hlatha
Do not confuse it with lade.
Use In Sentences:
- I have lathed metal in a machine shop.
- As I entered the his workshop, I heard the soft hum of the lathe.
I hope you guys like this word and hope it’s useful to you in some or the other way! If you want to check out more words like this, then visit my page: