WOW – Word Of The Week is a weekly feature that I came up with in the year 2015 in order to learn new words and their meaning in the English language and improve my vocabulary.
If you wish to participate and post about WOW then, by all means, feel free to do so. A link-back to this blog post would be most appreciated and also it would help me in knowing that you’ve posted your work.
WOW #48 – Word Of The Week
Part Of Speech:
eclectic – noun; eclectics – plural noun; eclectically – adverb
eclec·tic | \ i-ˈklek-tik
- deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
- denoting or belonging to a class of ancient philosophers who did not belong to or found any recognized school of thought but selected doctrines from various schools of thought.
- consisting of different types, methods, styles, etc.
- composed of elements drawn from various sources
- (as a noun) denoting or belonging to a class of ancient philosophers who did not belong to or found any recognised school of thought but selected doctrines from various schools of thought.
- (as noun) a person who derives ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
late 17th century (as a term in philosophy): from Greek eklektikos, from eklegein ‘pick out’, from ek ‘out’ + legein ‘choose’.
Use In Sentences:
- In Prem’s library, you will find an eclectic mix of books because he will read just about anything.
- The painter’s recent work is an eclectic collection of landscapes she has recently visited.
- India is an eclectic and diverse country with people from various caste, religion and cultural backgrounds.
I hope you guys like this word and hope it’s useful to you in some or the other way! If you want to check out more words like this, then visit my page:
Share your thoughts