WOW – Word Of The Week is a weekly feature that I came up with in the year 2015 in order to learn new words and their meaning in the English language and improve my vocabulary.
If you wish to participate and post about WOW then, by all means, feel free to do so. A link back to this blog post would be most appreciated and also it would help me in knowing that you’ve posted your work.
WOW #50 – Word Of The Week
/bəˈlɪdʒ(ə)r(ə)nt/ ; bel·lig·er·ent
Part Of Speech:
Adjective, noun, adverb
- hostile and aggressive
- engaged in a war or conflict, as recognized by international law
- inclined to or exhibiting assertiveness, hostility, or combativeness
- waging warspecifically : belonging to or recognized as a state at war and protected by and subject to the laws of war
- a nation or person engaged in war or conflict, as recognized by international law
Late 16th century: from Latin belligerant- ‘waging war’, from the verb belligerare, from bellum ‘war’.
Mostly used with a negative and agressive undertone.
Use In Sentences:
- Many people believe that Russia is being belligerant towards Ukrain while others believe that Ukrain is the one being belligerant.
- My father-in-law’s brother is belligerant and always looking for a fight.
- She belligerantly refused their invitation to attend their wedding ceremony.
- After years of belligerant behaviour, her friends are now in a co-ordial relationship.
I hope you guys like this word and hope it’s useful to you in some way!
If you want to check out more words like this, then visit my page: